Cover letters are an effective way to differentiate yourself from other candidates applying for the same vacancy. It adds a personal touch and allows you to restate your interest and enthusiasm for this position. Read the job description carefully and make sure that your cover letter is succinct and proofread before sending it off to the interviewer.
1. Open with a greeting – Greet the interviewer/recipient by name if possible and note the job role. This is exemplary of the research you have conducted for the position, as well as adding a personal touch to the cover letter, opening a private conversation between you and the recruiter.
2. Enthusiastic opening – In the opening lines introduce yourself and explain why you are applying for this position. Through this opening you should be able to exhibit your enthusiasm for this role and elaborate on why you are the ideal candidate for this position. You must hook the reader’s attention here, for example “I am now ready to take the next step in my career, and I believe my years of experience at (previous employer) and my willingness to learn and adapt make me an excellent candidate for this role.”
3. Touch on your achievements – Highlight your career achievements and elaborate further on those you are most proud of. Use these achievements effectively by linking them back to the job specification requirements and general hospitality skills. Make use of facts and figures to increase your validity, for example a housekeeping manager might say, “I managed a team of 5 employees and supervised 15 different rooms.” Make sure that all of your achievements are relevant to the position that you are applying for.
4. Add a section for skills – Reiterate how your skills align with what is expected of the applicant. Different skills are more applicable for different jobs and working environments. For example, if you are applying for a chef role, make sure that you emphasize that you are “experienced in working in fast-paced environments.”
5. Finish your cover letter with a conclusion – Finally, restate why you are suitable for this role and thank the hiring manager. Ensure that you have left your contact details on the cover letter so that the recruiter is able to get in touch with you in the future. Sign off the cover letter with “sincerely” or “yours faithfully.”